Drilling a new residential or agricultural well is fairly simple and straight forward.
There are a few state requirements for a new residential/Ag well:
1) 50 feet from property line unless grouted/cemented from the top of the water production screen to ground level.
2) 50 feet from any septic.
3) 100 feet from the drain fields and sprinklers.
4) Send in a registration to the ground water district.
Public wells require more paperwork and planning from the State of Texas.
1) They have to be engineered.
2) Requires a water treatment system.
3) 36 hour pump test.
4) Monitor drilling activity to ensure that is it done to the State of Texas rules.
5) Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has way more information on their website!
Depending on county and even different time of year will limit the amount of water you can produce with your irrigation well.